Thursday, May 8, 2008

Becoming an ALPHA

What are Alphas? Alphas are leaders who rather than following someone else, set the course of action for themselves. They draw people in, they influence, they have a commanding presence, people want to hear what they have to say, they make decisions, they choose their associations carefully based on their own goals and whether or not those associations will move them toward their target or not.

Are you allowing Fibromyalgia to dictate your life? Is is commanding you or are you commanding IT? Today is the day to make your choice. If you continue in the mindset that you are "disabled", "handicapped", or "incapable" because of Fibro, your body will follow suit. If you determine that "Yes, I have Fibro, but Fibro doesn't have ME!" your body will follow suit.

You can choose to get up and move today. Move your arms, your legs, walk.... get your body in line with your attitude. Determine that no matter how you feel, it will NOT determine how you think!

Because I live with Fibro, I understand first hand how difficult it is to do what I'm saying. The pain is excruciating at times. I know. However, succumbing to that pain over and over and over on a daily basis will only weaken your resolve. You MUST FIGHT for the quality of your life! You must fight to have quality time for yourself, your children, your spouse or loved one, your career, and for fun days. You can't do that from your bed.

If you have to fight your way into standing and there are tears rolling down your face... so be it. Determine to stand anyway! Take a pillow and scream into it if you have to. Get up and move!
If you don't, the pain in your muscles will increase and increase. When you move, you are fighting Fibro.

When you are at work, take frequent breaks to shake out your arms and legs, move your wrists and ankles. If you are fighting brain fog, take a break to close your eyes and think about nothing for 10 minutes. Let your mind rest before taking on a new task.

I've just come off of the longest flair I've endured since being diagnosed. Usually my flairs last at the most 3 days. This one lasted over four weeks. I was back to using my cane and my tens unit and I was FRUSTRATED! However, I knew that if I succumbed in my mind, it was going to be all over.

Friends, Fibro is a cruel disease. It's invisible to others, it's unpredictable, it's confusing, and it steals from us. We must have the mindset that Fibro is "only happening" to us, but it's not US! There are so many men and women I've met who have given up and allowed Fibro to steal everything in their lives. The pain enticed them to believe it was all over for them. Doctors and family, and friends who don't understand or who still believe "it's all in your head" are driving them to believe what they say! Be an ALPHA! You're the one living with Fibro, so don't let others tell you what is and isn't happening to your own body. No, YOU tell THEM. If they don't believe you, move on until you find a support network who does! Even if it's just one other person, find someone who will stand with you and who will offer you the support and encouragement you need. Don't let yourself down. Keep fighting and keep looking for a doctor who will help you, rather than shove pill after pill down your throat. There are several links on my blog to foundations and communities who have VITAL information that can help you.

You CAN still have your goals and still work toward them. If you are no longer working in a mainstream career, and you want to earn money for yourself, take a look at all of the posts in my blog! Let's start working together to determine what fits YOU. What makes YOU feel fulfilled and excited!

My Fibro friends are my passion! Fighting against the "conquered" mindset of Fibro drives me!Even when no one comments or posts on the blog and I think I'm reaching no one... I keep on. I know that at some point, I'm going to touch some one's life and it's going to make a difference for them. It's ALL worth it, if I reach just one person, one employer, one doctor, one friend....

What's inside you? If you didn't have Fibro, what would you be doing? Did you know you can STILL do it?! It may have to be "tweaked" a little, but don't give up. Determine to become an Alpha today!

No comments: